By Samantha Grose, Lead Designer Optima Homes and JP&CO.
A great part about having a wonderful home is the ability to throw a great party. What’s more rewarding than gathering all of your near and dearest under one roof to enjoy company, food, and drink? Make sure that you’re always the hostess with the mostest, while also having a whole lot of fun yourself, with these easy entertaining tips:
- Don’t get sucked into the “wait staff” role: you’re not the only person who knows how to mix martinis and pour wine. Set up a self-service bar in a central area and direct your guests. Another fun option is to make large batches of punch ahead of time. This way, all you have to worry about is restocking ice and mixers.
- Opt for low-maintenance food: room temperature appetizers are easiest to serve when you don’t have help. Lay out platters of cheeses, fruits, veggies, antipasti, and other appetizers that can remain in the room for the evening.
- Decorating your place for a party does not mean buying out the party warehouse. Think soft lighting, fresh flowers, and a clean, open space. Want a high visual impact? Select a single color for your party to use for linens, lighting, floral, cocktail napkins, and even a specialty cocktail or punch.
- Always send soiree invites about three weeks in advance. Be careful not to send invites too soon or too late—this risks having your guests forget about your party or could result in you scrambling last minute to find additional offerings to feed your last-minute guests.
- Avoid the common party kitchen gravitation by locating the bar as far away from the kitchen as possible.
- Always include a dress code in your party invite to ensure that guests know what to expect and dress appropriately. This keeps everyone feeling prepared and comfortable. (click here for a party dress code guide)
Interested in more fun and unique tips, themes, recipes, and tricks when it comes to entertaining like a seasoned pro in your home? These are some of my favorite sources for great party ideas:
Samantha Grose is both Associate AIA and Allied ASID. She is the lead designer for Optima Homes and JP&CO. She takes a unique approach to design creating spaces that are casually sophisticated and timeless in design, where you and your family can live comfortably. She has worked extensively throughout the TWIN CITIES area having completed many new homes and large scale whole house remodels.
Samantha received her BS from the University of Minnesota majoring in both ARCHITECTURE and ART. She is deeply committed to a creative approach giving you highly functional spaces with an aesthetic appeal for everyday living.